Clare Courier, 15 November 1907
The manufacturing industries in and nearby Temple are at present all in operation, though the citizens are feeling somewhat downhearted because of a recent decision of the National Woodenware CO- (Armour & Co.) to cease turning out the finished product at this point. Having complete mills at both Temple and Ithaca the company has found impossible to keep both stocked continually, hence the timber on hand have is being simply cut into bolts and shipped to Ithaca for manufacture. This has been decided upon for two reasons. Most of the skilled labor employed and the management of the enterprises have homes at Ithaca and they insist that it is more agreeable to them to be employed there. Secondly, the company has bad luck in driving its timber down the river, much of it having sunk on route. A large amount of stumpage is owned by the company on the river and its tributaries, but the problem of getting the logs to the mill is at present a perplexing one and it is possible that the material owned by them up the river may be disposed of and no timber be here after bought which cannot be delivered by rail.
The Temple Mfg. Co. which operates a nail keg heading mill the year round, and also maintains a large general store, continues to be a standby to the village. They use all kinds of rough timber and have no difficulty in keeping a supply.
Probably, the largest lumber yard to be found in the county is that of the. Dewey Stave Co, which this year has been devoting a large amount of its attention to the manufacture pf this product, and whose supply of timber warrants the promise of a continuance of the industry for many years. Shingles. and ties are also manufactured by this company, and upon its yards can now be seen more cedar poles and posts that even the experienced timberman supposed remained in northern Michigan. For this supply of raw material, the company is largely indebted to John McDonald, of Clare, who spends his entire time in the vicinity of Houghton Lake buying and “putting in” all that can be secured.
Buffham & Butterfield have commenced the manufacture of lumber and lath about four miles up the river, and their product will be hauled here for shipment. The indications are that while the coming winter will not be as good as has been had here in the past, so far as, business goes, yet a large number of laboring men will find ready employment.
Clare Sentinel, 23 February 1906
The firm that was known at the Dolph Mfg. Co., has under gone some changes and is now the Temple Mfg. Co.
William Blue is the successor to W.A.Williams as bookkeeper in the Temple Mfg. Co’s store. Mr. Williams will return to his home in Howard City. He will be greatly missed by the host of friends he has made while he has been among us.
Clare Sentinel, 24 July 1908
While working on the cut off saw last Thursday at the Temple Mfg. Co., mill, Mr. Evan cut off all his fingers and thumb. Mr. Evans is about sixty years old and the accident leaves him in bad shape.
Clare Sentinel, 30 January 1914
They have began tearing down the Temple Mfg. Co. Mill and it will be moved to Carp Lake in the near future. Where is our town going?
In April of 1916 the Temple Mfg. Co. sold property to Newton Kress, Lot 8, blk 29, Dewey Addition, Temple.
No comments on this item Please log in to comment by clicking here