Doug Chapman brought his photo into the Cleaver office last week. It hung in the Maxi Muffler business of his father Chuck Chapman for many years. Chapman bought the business on the curve on First Street about 1970 and it was called Harrison Transmission. Chapman served in the business community as chamber President and was enthusiastic about the Harrison business community and its potential. Chapman retired and sold the business in 1999. In 2007 Chapman received a Lifetime Achievement Award for his dedication and support to the Harrison Chamber and HAEDCO.
Clare Sentinel, 6 March 1931
Robert Shull, the new proprietor of Harrison Gas and Oil Co., was a business caller in Mt. Pleasant, Friday.
Clare Sentinel, 15 April 1932
L.F. Leonard and Bert Lydell, both of Flint, recently purchased the holdings of Robert Shull, known as the “Harrison Gas and Oil Company”, which consists of two stations; one situated at the south part of town on U.S. 27, and one at the north end, where Main street and U.S. 27 join. Mr. Leonard was formerly a successful merchant of Farwell. Mr. and Mrs. Lydell are moving into the Reid home in the south part of town.
Clare County Cleaver, 24 April 1936
The Harrison Gas and Oil Co. have taken over the agency for Plymouth and DeSoto cars for this vicinity. Walter Lang was the first customer. He purchased a new Plymouth coach.
Clare County Cleaver, 19 May 1949
Harrison Gas and Oil Changes Hands-Ohio Man Buys Local Company
Final papers were drawn and the new management took over the Harrison Gas and Oil Company. Clair S. Bauserman, Paulding, Ohio is the new owner. Mr. Bauserman comes to Harrison highly recommended and is married, boasting a family of one child, a boy. Since taking over the Harrison Gas and Oil Company, in October of 1945, Russell Boyer and Harry Kantner have built up a business that has been a credit to Harrison and Northern Michigan. Prior to purchasing the business, Mr. Boyer was a part-time resident here, but Mr. Kantner came here from Ohio, to be associated with Mr. Boyer. Both gentlemen are contemplating a new business in Harrison, but will retire from the business field for at least a year.
Clare County Cleaver, 1 June 1950
The IGA Store here in Harrison has moved the many counters and grocery shelves about in the store to make for better convenience on the part of customers and the Harrison Gas and Oil Company has completely repainted the interior of the station.
Clare County Cleaver, 5 June 1952
IMPROVEMENTS CONTINUE here in Harrison. On the corner where M-61 intersects with US-27 right here in town, three local gas stations have really hit the new improvement boom. The Texaco station has been repainted, the Gulf station has added a brand new sign and practically a new corner area and Ernie Roth at the Chrysler-Plymouth Sales and Service is presently busy getting a brand new cement run way in front of the station and garage area. Next to the Gulf Super Service, Finch's Souvenir Shop has rearranged their area and next to them, the Harrison Elevator is adding a new storage house. Harrison Gas and Oil Company is still under the remodeling stage, as is the Oklahoma Service Station. Let's just continue all these improvements until next week, as we have a lot more to tell about.
Clare County Cleaver, 8 February 2007
Brook Wood, H.A.E.D.C.O. President gave the updates for the year of 2007 and awarded Chuck Chapman the LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD for all of his dedication and support for both the H.A.E.D.C.O. and the Harrison Chamber of Commerce. Chuck was presented with a beautiful plaque.
No comments on this item Please log in to comment by clicking here