Sheriff Wilson wants both visitors and residents of Clare County to know some important safety rules before setting out to deer camp.
- Your hunting license and the identification used to purchase it must be carried with you at all times while hunting.
- All hunters must wear an item of clothing in “hunter orange,” it must be the outer most garment, and it must be visible from all sides. If it is camouflage, at least 50 percent must be orange.
- Hunting hours begin one-half hour before sunrise and last until approximately one-half hour after sunset.
- Safety zones include all areas within 150 yards of an occupied building, house, cabin, barn, or other farm building. You may not hunt in this area or shoot at any animal within this area, unless you have written permission from the property owner.
- It is illegal to drink alcohol or use intoxicating drugs before and during hunting.
Sheriff Wilson urges all hunters to act responsibly this season. Reacquaint yourself with Michigan’s hunting laws and follow these safety tips to prevent a tragedy from happening.
Good Luck and be Safe!
Sheriff John S Wilson
Clare County Sheriff Office